Raising children costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. There’s the clothes, sport registrations, uniforms, equipment, books, Christmas, Easter, vacation, vacation clothes, school clothes, food, shelter… oh my the list is endless. And then there’s the gifts. Birthday parties, girl scout leaders, boy scout leaders, secret Santa, Sunday school teachers. I am not ashamed to admit that I was elated when my youngest finally reached middle school because I no longer had to buy her teacher a present at Christmas and at the end-of-the-year! If, however, you are still obligated, here are my suggestions for affordable gifts for teacher:
1. Gift card at restaurant or local grocery store.
2. Tray of homemade cookies or candy.
3. A nice, handwritten note about why the teacher is special to your child.
4. A gift card to a coffee shop.
5. A gift card to a book store.
What do teachers NOT want? A coffee mug, basket of soaps or lotions, or other dust-collecting items. Now get out and do something nice!